MY-PIME_0000_IMG_2798
MSMEs in Honduras are taught how to maintain their financial health.
18 February, 2016
Cop21_0003_celebro
The Paris Accord over Climate Change and the Participation and Role of ZAMORANO
24 February, 2016

Wilber Gutierrez, Texas Tech, USA

Wilber Gutierrez_0002_NewLab_SPS

How much biodiversity of bees is there in the highlands of southwestern USA?

I, Wilber Gutierrez, am an intern at the Department of Soil and Plant Science (SPS) Texas Tech University (TTU), USA. I conducted research on the biological diversity of bees (Hymenoptera) in the highlands of southwestern USA (Monahans Sandhills State Park). The purpose is to evaluate the relationship between the current biodiversity (unidentified samples from 2013 to date) with historical data (collected specimens before 2013) at the museum of TTU. I started on January 11 this year familiarizing myself with the characteristics of the 20,000 specimens of insects classified to order and family in the old SPS laboratory.

The research is to classify the bees to know the species. SPS taxonomic keys will be used to identify the insects and they will be photographed with a digital microscope (Dino-Lite) in order to make a catalog. On the other hand, a list of species that existed in Monahans Sandhills State Park will be made from specimens at the Museum of TTU. Thus the relationship with current data via SPP is calculated. The data will be uploaded to a web page that will develop as the project progresses. Finally, there will be an exhibit at the Center for Active Learning and Undergraduate Engagement (CALUE), an academic organization in TTU.

This experience has helped me improve my English.  I met people from Lubbock, Dallas, China, Vietnam, Syria, Texas and other students very pleased to meet Latino students. I feel it is a great opportunity that God has given me to study at Zamorano.