en-espana
In Spain: Evaluation of Agricultural Risk Management Systems
30 March, 2016
gira eeuu_0011_Objeto inteligente vectorial
US tour: Students of Agricultural Engineering learn Animal Production
1 April, 2016

In Israel: Fattening Birds in the Nir Yitzhak Kibbutz

peru en israel

By  Macedonian Casavilca Carhuas  (Peru) 

I am a fourth-year student of the Agricultural Engineering Major at the Panamerican Agricultural University, Zamorano.  I am in the kibbutz Nir Yitzhak, Israel, doing my professional practice in the area of birds.  My internship is based on raising chickens, Ross 305, which are birds with a good feed conversion and rapid development.

I’m involved in all aspects related to the management of equipment, including maintenance and cleaning, as well as the planning of work activities and breeding and poultry management.  In addition, I have the opportunity to learn about the nutritional, medical and reproductive care of the birds.

Finding myself in a kibbutz, I also have the opportunity to visit various production sites, including agricultural, livestock and manufacturing.  In addition, we receive talks every weekend on specific issues of agricultural and livestock production. One of the most important lessons I received was about the handling of wastewater and its use in irrigation. I am also a participant in important meetings between different kibbutzes where we share our experiences.

Another important aspect of my internship is that by living in a kibbutz it is as if all members conduct activities with a common purpose since we are all participants in all jobs. Both youth and adults alike perform tasks according to their ability. I am amazed how different the kibbutz is from my country and other countries I know.

Completing my professional practice in a foreign country on a subject that is of interest to me, as are birds, is an example of following that which we are passionate. Many opportunities are open for those who really seek them. Laboring with people with other work ideologies has been possible thanks to the teaching philosophy of Zamorano, which is learning-by-doing.