United States: Researching Natural Resources and Water Quality at Kansas State University | Universidad Zamorano
United States: Environmental Awareness through Bird Research
20 April, 2017
Colombia: producing affordable and high-quality protein
11 May, 2017

United States: Researching Natural Resources and Water Quality at Kansas State University

My name is Carolina Muela from the Department of Environment and Development. I am doing an internship with Kansas State University at the Department of Horticulture and Natural Resources.

My internship focuses on forest management and water quality, carrying out both laboratory and field activities. I work as a research assistant for Professor Charles Barden, Ph.D., and I help in two master’s and doctoral projects. The projects have to do, one, with the prescribed burnings to improve the resistance of oak trees, and the other one is about the management of basins and conservation of rivers using cedar trees as shock absorbers.

I take Soils and Biodiversity classes at the master’s level, which has been a novel and challenging experience. I was able to participate in one of the most important annual conferences held by the State of Kansas on Natural Resources, which was a unique experience.

I will treasure this internship season for the rest of my life. I have had difficult moments but they were all outnumbered by moments of success. I feel very fortunate and happy to represent ZAMORANO and my country Ecuador.