Colombia: producing affordable and high-quality protein | Universidad Zamorano
United States: Researching Natural Resources and Water Quality at Kansas State University
2 May, 2017
Brazil: lyophilization of tropical fruits and the ionic gelification
12 May, 2017

Colombia: producing affordable and high-quality protein

Three students from the Department of Food Science and Technology had the opportunity of traveling to Colombia to pursue an internship at Premex. This is a company dedicated to the development of micro-ingredients for animal nutrition in order for customers to produce affordable and high-quality protein. This company was founded by a university alumnus, class of 1967, Carlos Eduardo Mesa, who also serves as a member of the Board of Trustees in ZAMORANO. The students collaborated in three departments: Research and Nutrition Development, Animal Nutrition, and Animal Poultry Nutrition Research.

“My name is Crista María Castillo Altamirano. I had the opportunity to be part of different work areas: Field Livestock Management, Genetics, Biosecurity, Fodder and Nutrition. I learned how to formulate premixes in the pilot plant; optimized processes for the preparation of concentrates; I ran diagnostic tests for the company’s livestock and for clients (with the information collected I had to identify deficiencies in nutrition); and I also collaborated with the design of a platform to add value to products.”

“My name is Gerardo Josué Borjas Ferrera. At PREMEX I learned how to make matrices of finished products and identify active ingredients in order to optimize production processes. With bibliographic surveys, recategorization of articles in incompatibility matrices and by identifying the needs, we developed a program to manipulate raw materials and finished products, free of cross contamination. I collaborated in identifying needs and generating alternatives for the Premex markets.”

“I’m Luis David Naranjo Quimbiulco. I worked with the research team of experimental farms in the area of ​​Poultry Nutrition. I participated in various activities: I defined research topic, I proposed a way to adapt the experimental farm, I formulated nutritional profiles, I created a database, I took samples of raw materials for food; I supervised the testing of different nutritional profiles for a new poultry genetic line; I collaborated with the protocol test for the use of different pigments in laying hen foods, all with the purpose of adding value to the products.”